While I am not a huge football game fan, tailgating and the food that goes along with it is something I can definitely get behind. With football season in full swing, I thought it might be fun to whip up an unfussy dish for game day snacking. This quick recipe for mini "corn-dogs" is the perfect item to bring to your next potluck tailgating invite.
I, of course, had to make it a bit more fancy than typical football related food dishes by whipping up some gourmet ketchups and a honey mustard to go along with it. Also I opted to use cornbread mix rather than making cornbread from scratch because well...I enjoy my free time and cornbread mix is a lot like cupcake mix to me in that it tastes just as good if not better than the real thing, but in waaaaay less time. All recipes at the bottom of the post....
what you need:
- corn bread mix (I used Trader Joe's version) and ingredients listed on box for mix which for me was vegetable oil, 1 egg & whole milk
- 1 pack of regular hot dogs
- mini cupcake pan
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix corn bread according to box instructions.
- Cut hot dogs into 1-inch long pieces- usually about 6 pieces per hot dog.
- Spray mini cupcake pan with cooking spray.
- Place about 3/4 tablespoon of cornbread mix in each cupcake basin.
- Place one hot dog piece in the middle of each "muffin."
- Bake corndogs for about 12 minutes or until edges just start to get golden brown.
- Allow to cool before removing from cupcake pan.
Gourmet Ketchups & Honey Mustard: to make each of the dipping sauces simply mix the ratios listed below together in desired container:
Curry Ketchup: 1/2 cup ketchup to 1/2 teaspoon Curry powder
Spicy Ketchup: 1/2 cup ketchup to 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
Honey Mustard: 1/4 cup dijon mustard to 1/4 cup honey