This past weekend we grabbed dinner a great little italian place in the River North neighborhood before we headed out to a charity event for Chris' MBA program at Kellogg. The restaurant had a solid line up of crostini appetizers including a smashed pea and mint crostini as well as delicious mushroom crostini. Last night we decided to recreate the mushroom crostini and I think we nailed it- recipe at the bottom of this post.
what you need (makes 4):
- 20 thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- fontina cheese
- crusty french bread
- fresh cut cilantro
- heat oven on highest broil setting.
- sautee shallots in butter for a minute. add mushrooms and cook until fully cooked (5 to 6 minutes)
- slice bread on an angle about 1 inch thick. grill slices of bread until crispy
- top grilled slices with mushrooms and add a slice of fontina cheese to cover the top. (it helps to place fontina in freezer for 10 minutes beforehand to ease in slicing the cheese)
- place crostini in oven under broiler until cheese is melted.
- sprinkle with freshly cut cilantro.
- serve immediately and enjoy!