One of my favorite places to go out for a casual dinner in downtown Los Angeles is Mas Malo. We always start out a meal there with an order of chips with their burnt habanero & crema salsa. It is usually embarrassing how quickly the server has to bring us a refill on chips after this salsa is brought to the table. We have experimented with different proportions and ingredients and finally feel like we nailed an at-home version of this salsa. Here is our recipe:
What you need:
- one container of mexican crema (you can substitute sour cream)
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- In a food processor: blend the crema (about 80% of the container), cilantro, juice of half a lime, a pinch of salt, 1 1/2 tablespoons honey & chipotle peppers from entire can (do not add all the sauce that is in the can- just the peppers).
- Blend until well combined.
- Add salt to taste
- If you desire a more spicy salsa add additional adobo sauce from the can of peppers. If you desire a less spicy salsa, add additional crema and honey to taste.