I love entertaining during the week, it allows me to briefly pretend its the weekend and I get to eat a wonderful meal with friends. The part I don't enjoy is my commute from work in Culver City to Downtown Los Angeles which doesn't allow me much time to make extravagant appetizers. One of my go-to quick and easy appetizer dishes is Caprese Bites.
What you need:
- mozzarella cheese
- a few fresh basil leaves
- tomatoes (I prefer to use grape tomatoes)
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- toothpicks or bamboo skewers
- drain mozzarella balls and cut each one in half
- cut tomatoes in half if using grape tomatoes, otherwise cut into pieces about as large as the cheese
- cut basil into square inch pieces
- sandwich a piece of basil in between a piece of cheese and tomato then skewer with toothpick
- place on serving tray and drizzle with olive oil and a balsamic reduction (or regular balsamic if you don't want to get too fancy)
- salt & pepper to taste
- impress your guests and enjoy.
Here is fun idea from Southern Living of a different way to serve these bites in individual cups. Would be really cute sitting on top of each person's place setting.