Since the gloomy weather this past weekend ruined my plans for some gardening, I decided it was the perfect time to re-plant an indoor terrarium that did not fair well in the move. The large fish bowl vase was a TJ Maxx find, but you can find vases like these in the LA Flower Mart or at Home Goods.
What you need:
- vase - fish bowl shaped ones work best
- small rocks or gravel
- potting soil
- moss (my favorite is Super Moss' Reindeer Moss)
- various small succulents (Home Depot has a great selection for $1.50)
- place a small layer of gravel or rocks in the bottom of the vase, for a vase the size of mine (12 inch diameter) I used about an inch worth. This allows for some drainage.
- top with a couple inches of potting soil
- loosely plant succulents in desired locations, you can support them with some of the leftover small rocks if needed. I recommend working from front to back as you plant the succulents, and then plant the one in the center last.
- fill uncovered dirt with moss and rocks (this is optional but I think it looks much better with the additional color)
- lightly water until soil is moist
- place in area that gets a good amount sunlight and lightly water once a week.